(This is the exact one I purchased from Amazon:)
I am loving my dehydrator!! And so far, I’ve only used it for drying herbs. And now, kale chips. I can’t wait to dry some fruit. I bought some mango and pineapple earlier at the store today.
Back to my kale chips…
I’ve made kale chips before. I made them in the oven. Sometimes they were good. Sometimes they weren’t. I’m not sure why it was so inconsistent? Anyway, using the dehydrator gives you the really good crispy chips and the flavor is more intense. I love them and will never go back to the oven method.
I needed something to break my salty craving of potato chips and this does the trick! AND, as an added bonus, this is THM friendly so I can get back on track to eating healthier!!
You can play around with the seasonings but this is what I made for my first batch.
- bag of fresh kale
- olive oil
- sea salt
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- dill weed
- Rinse kale and completely dry it.
- Cut out stalks and thick veins from kale.
- Tear kale in smaller pieces (if you purchase bagged kale instead of a stalk of kale, it will probably already be in smaller pieces)
- Mix the olive oil and seasoning to your taste.
- Toss kale in seasoned oil.
- Arrange kale on drying racks.
- Use dehydrator according to manufacturer directions.
- I used half a bag of kale and 1 1/2 Tbsp of olive oil. The seasonings seem to intensify in the dehydrator so use sparingly for your first batch. I dehydrated at 115 for about 6 hours. This is also really good if you sprinkle a little parmesan cheese on before eating. I haven't tried dehydrating with the cheese yet.