I made some hard but necessary decisions last fall that impacted my blogging goals in a major way. I won’t go into details but the decisions were based on some family issues and time restraints. Basically, I just needed to adjust my focus. I think we’ve all been there at one time or another.
I then took December off from blogging. I needed to refocus and reorganize and decide on exactly what I wanted my next step to be and what I needed to do to get there. I’d like to say that I am back and completely on a new track with a definite game plan.
But I’m not.
I did end some commitments and started another less time-intensive one. But I didn’t realize exactly how far blogging had moved down my to-do list until I realized that January is half over already and I still haven’t printed out my blogging planner for 2016!!! That is usually done even before Christmas! In fact, blogging is taking such a far backseat right now that I have decided, at least for now, to just dedicate a row in my Happy Planner to blogging efforts. That’s also one less planner 🙂
Even though I am taking a little less time devoted to actual writing, I do want to do some maintenance around here that has been almost forgotten. I changed themes almost a year ago and I still have never found the time to clean up my categories/tags. It has made it much harder to navigate and I apologize. And there’s some more so to help me be accountable, (and hopefully not forget), here’s some of my blogging goals for 2016:
- Streamline categories/tags. I need to go through Every. Single. Post and make sure it’s in the appropriate category and give proper tags. I need less categories and have categories and tags that more accurately represent my goals for this blog. I need to re-do what categories show up on my main page as headers. My focus areas are homeschool, recipes (primarily THM to help with weight loss), weight loss, family friendly reviews, books, homesteading and Christian parenting/marriage.
- Adjust margins. I’m not really sure how to do this and I don’t know if it’s a problem just on my own computer or if everyone sees what I see. I want more blog space and less margin. I’m thinking it just depends on what screen I view it from but on my widescreen for my desktop, there’s just too much space around it.
- Plug-In Maintenance. I think I have too many that are supposed to be doing the same thing. I really need to spend more time researching what I need and keep them all update and tidy.
- Social Media Plan. I really don’t have a plan. I need a real plan. A scheduling plan. And I need to focus more on my Facebook community. And maybe I’ll look at Periscope again. And goals. I need goals. I usually try to not look at numbers because I don’t want to just collect followers, I want a community. Interaction. But I think I will make some number goals but I will try to reach those goals through organic interaction and not those “follow me and I’ll follow you” strategies. I’d rather have ten people that actually engage than a thousand that pass through and I never see around again.
- Do something for my subscribers. I will be real honest here. I had a blog for years before I even offered a chance for anyone to subscribe. I’m still not sure what they see…I think maybe my post goes to their email. But I’ve never sent out anything. I think I would like to do notices of great deals that I find. Or when I want to give a little background information about a post. Or offer some freebies. (I am currently designing some stickers for my planner!!)
- More online participation. I used to love linky parties but don’t participate as often as I used to. Also, I enjoy a good blog hop. The thing is, I haven’t been organized enough to join. I want to find online opportunities that fit my niche and join in. It’s a great way to build community.
Do you have blogging goals? I’d love to hear about them. I will probably add to this list as something gets checked off.
This post is being linked at #BeBold2016.