Music has always been a big part of our family. In fact, over the years, we’ve taken the kids to many Christian concerts. I even remember inserting earplugs into Jeremiah’s ears and taking him when he was still being carried in a baby sling! We try to attend Winter Jam every year and in 2009, we got to see The Afters.
I was provided a copy of this CD in exchange for my honest and unbiased review. Please see my full disclosure.
The Afters is a Christian pop rock group consisting of four band members – Matt Fuqua, Josh Havens, Jordan Mohilowski and Dan Ostebo. This is their latest CD and they claim that it was born “during a season of tragedy.” There were multiple personal challenges that came against the band members and extended to their friends, yet despite all of the adversity, they compiled a wonderful CD that embraces God’s promises. Havens states that the theme of the CD is “inspiration and motivation”. As soon as I received the CD, I listened to it before reading any background information so I could get my own take on it. My first impression is that the songs have a common message of encouragement. From the first song to the last, from upbeat songs to slower sounds of worship, each song will encourage you.
- Shadows – This won our family favorite vote. The upbeat rhythm appeals to teens, while the message appeals to all.
- Battles – Great encouraging message, contemporary worship song. I could easily see this dominating the air waves of every Christian radio station.
- Sunrise – Another great, easy to listen to, sing- along song of encouragement.
- Time of My Life – One word – mandolin. What’s not to love? This one is a little more upbeat and funky. This is the tune that we would blare on a road trip.
- Wake Up My Heart – Great contemporary worship song. Also, another one I could see becoming a radio hit.
- Live on Forever – The title song of this CD, which was released previously, is an upbeat, encouraging song that every family member will enjoy. (Read: teen approved)
- Eyes of a Believer – Amazing song of encouragement! Here’s the lyrics of the pre-chorus: So put your gloves on and pull out the fighter
Never let anyone put out your fire
Cause anything’s possible
With God by your side
- Survivors – By the title alone, you know this song is an anthem for spiritual warfare! The lyrics will stay in your head, “We are survivors, We are the fighters, We we know who we are, we know we are survivors.”
- Legends – Another encouraging, teen-approved song that will cross generational lines.
- When You’re With Me – Love, love, love this song!! I can see this being THE next wedding song. It’s sooo sweet, just wish I knew someone getting married or engaged that could use it.
Disclosure (in accordance with the FTC’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the
Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”): Many thanks to Propeller Consulting, LLC for providing this prize for the giveaway. Choice of winners and opinions are 100% my own and NOT influenced by monetary compensation. I did receive a sample of the product in exchange for this review and post. Only one entrant per
Purchase Live on Forever!
Google Play: http://www.smarturl.it/LOFAlbum-GPlay
Official website: www.theafters.com
Battles (Official Lyric Video)
Battles (Heart Of The Song)
Live On Forever (Heart Of The Song)
Live On Forever (Official Music Video)