If you are a regular reader of my blog, you probably know by now that we do not own a television. We like to have more control over what our family watches and honestly, trying to find anything worth watching is usually not even worth the hassle.
When I was approached to watch an early viewing of the season two premiere of When Calls the Heart and offer the complete season one dvd set for a giveaway, I didn’t immediately jump on board. I had to do a little research and quick frankly, I’m one of those that cannot just jump in mid-season. So, I ordered the entire first season on Amazon Instant Video, and starting watching. By the second episode, I was hooked and joined the other “Hearties” bloggers.
When Calls the Heart is wholesome family entertainment. It is based on a book series (I learned this during a recent exclusive teleconference with Erin Krakow but more on that later…) by Jannete Oak. I should have know this, after all, my daughter and I watched the Love Comes Softly movie over and over! Since it is based during the early 1900’s, the clothing is absolutely stunning! The show is about a rich young teacher, Elizabeth Thatcher (played by Erin Krakow), who leaves behind her family to venture out west to teach in a small coal mining community. There are many challenges that she must face – new people, no comforts, most of the children lost their fathers and older brothers in a coal mining accident. Elizabeth find a great friend and mentor in Abigail Stanton (played by Lori Loughlin). She also finds a budding romance with Mountie Jack Thornton (played by Daniel Lissing), who despite their attraction to each other is very guarded as he is married to his occupation first. As season one ends, the widows have taken the coal mining company to court, Jack’s ex-fiance is in town and Abigail is growing closer to the forensic expert.
I cannot tell you anything about Season two that will spoil it but I will tell you this – go to the bathroom, get you a drink, get comfortable. You do not want to get up and miss a second of this premiere!! There are quite a few interesting plot tests that just might have you screaming back at the screen (I did). There’s some new characters that I am sure will win the heart of some hearties. If only I were younger and not married….just kidding. You get to see a little back story of Elizabeth when she has to travel back home. And the premiere will end with you anticipating the next episode even more than you waited for this!!
Fans of this wonderful Hallmark show call themselves “hearties”. I admit that I have now joined this club. And every heartie dream would be to know the characters a little better and meet the real actors that play them. I was able to join a few bloggers in an exclusive teleconference with Erin Krakow and here’s a little inside scoop that I learned from one of our favorite actresses:
- She’s from South Florida (Her little mention of that grabbed my attention since I am a Floridian! I did a little research and she graduated from Dreyfoos School of the Arts in West Palm Beach.)
- Her favorite part of the show is how it has brought families together and has been a source of healing for widows
- She loves to hear from male hearties since the show does appeal to both genders and all ages.
- She apologized for the fans having to wait so long between season 1 and season 2. (I was not aware of this wait since I rushed through all of season 1 to immediately watch the premiere but I’m glad since I’m a rather impatient person.)
- She personally likes to watch Hallmark shows because they like to keep actors in the family so Erin can watch her co-workers in other films. She is also a fan of Game of Thrones, political shows and Parenthood which just ended.
- She loves to read blogs!!!
- And then of course the question we all want answered – will she ever marry Jack? She said she hopes (I am assuming that means it hasn’t been written either way yet…) but they have hashed out some ideas of what the actual wedding would be like. (Could you imagine all of the dresses???!!!! EEEKKKK!!!!)
I know everyone wants to have Season 1 available so you can keep viewing it over and over. You can purchase it through Amazon and Fishflix. AND….I’m hosting a giveaway that you can enter below to win the complete season one.
Stay Connected on Social Media
Word Films is supplying the DVDs for the giveaway!!
“Disclosure (in accordance with the FTC’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”): Many thanks to Propeller Consulting, LLC for providing this prize for the giveaway. Choice of winners and opinions are 100% my own and NOT influenced by monetary compensation. I did receive a sample of the product in exchange for this review and post.
Only one entrant per mailing address, per giveaway. If you have won a prize from our sponsor Propeller / FlyBy Promotions in the last 30 days, you are not eligible to win. Or if you have won the same prize on another blog, you are not eligible to win it again. Winner is subject to eligibility verification.”